Who killed Blair Peach? Launch
- David Renton author and barrister
- Christine Blower NUT General Secretary
- Suresh Grover founder member of Southall Campaign & Defence Committee and Director of The Monitoring Group
- Susan Matthews Defend the Right to Protest & mother of Alfie Meadows
- Stephanie Lightfoot-Bennet (United Families & Friends Campaign, twin of Leon Patterson)
Thursday 2nd October, 6-8pm
NUT HQ, Hamilton House, Mabledon Place, WC1H 9BD
Blair Peach was a 33 year old teacher killed on a demonstration against the National Front at Southall in 1979. He died following a blow to the head by a police officer.
In 2010, following Ian Tomlinson’s death, the government finally published the Cass report into Peach’s killing. Written shortly after Peach’s death, the report had identified the six police officers who were present when the fatal blow was struck. These findings however were not disclosed to the Inquest and remained hidden from Peach’s family, and the public for 30 years.
This new pamphlet by David Renton sets out why exactly Cass reached his conclusions, how his reasoning casts a light on the identity of Peach’s killer, and calls for a fresh inquest into Blair Peach’s killing.
A call for a fresh inquest into Blair Peach’s killing and celebration of his life and the struggle against racism and fascism he died fighting. Discussion followed by refreshments